Monday, November 9, 2009

A Christmas Carol Review

My wife and I went to see Jim Carrey's new movie, A Christmas Carol, this weekend. We saw it in 3D. It's been a long time since I saw the original Scrooge movie so I couldn't remember all the details of what was suppose to happen. I am a big fan of Jim Carrey so I was pretty excited to see this one.

This was also the first movie I had seen in 3D without those goofy paper glasses on; I can't stand those things.

The movie started off with some unbelievable graphics that can't help but get your attention. They are awesome! Everything looks so real with the 3D version. Snow is flying and you catch yourself dodging some of the snow flakes. Once the opening scenes are finished and it gets into the story, it immediately starts going downhill.

The dialect is hard to hear and understand. I can't imagine a kid under 15 or so understanding 3/4 of what is said throughout the movie. It's written very proper and it's sad to say, but I'm sure that most people don't understand it. I regularly read the King James Bible so it was a little easier for me to understand, but it was hard to hear nonetheless.

The movie was very dark and had a few creepy parts, but the graphics made it worth watching. It's definitely not a kids movie; not because there is foul language or anything like that, it's just really hard to hear and understand. I don't know if they marketed this movie to kids, but it's NOT a kids movie. Also, I don't think it would be worth watching if not in 3D either.

So, to say the least, I was very disappointed with the movie. It didn't have any of Jim Carrey's humor. The storyline was good and I thought it followed the original like I remembered. I also thought it had a great Christmas sermon idea behind it.

First you have the sinner...

Then you have the visit...

and last, you have the change...

It's a great Christmas sermon idea and Here is an example from one of my favorite preachers.

No comments:

Post a Comment